Tuesday, November 23, 2010

All is safely gathered in!






There are some things in life that make me feel grown up. Maybe a little too grown up. But for some reason, canning has always seemed like an old person thing to do until I tried it this summer. I decided it was important to follow the Prophets council and grow garden. Although I didn't keep up on it as faithfully as I would have liked, we were able to harvest quite a bit out of it. In addition to that, my good friend Kristin was nice enough to invite me along to pick cherries, apricots and pears for FREE! In all I was able to can cherry pie filling, apricot jam, cherry jelly and pears. With a lot of help from her and a few generous neighbors all of my attempts were a success. Ever since the weather has grown colder, I am so thankful for a full food storage with these new items added in. The words of one of my favorite fall hymns keep coming to mind: "All is safely gathered in, ere the winter storms begin." What a feeling of comfort and safety there is in being prepared and following the council of our prophet. I am so thankful!

No comments: