Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ruin

My mom has always said that if everyone put their problems in a dish and you could choose whatever problems you wish, you would come back with your own.


Whatever struggles we have gone through over the past few years pale in comparison to what I see around me. There are so many days that I just pray for our Father in Heaven to take away my current problems, even just for a while, so that I could have a break. But then there is another part of me who fears what would take it's place. It's like I am afraid to get past one problem because I know another will be just around the corner. When I really look at what I am dealing with, it's not so bad. Day to day it can be easy to get caught up in feeling bad about things but when I really stop to think about it all and what I have gained from the struggles, I am thankful.

Today I am thankful for everything in my "dish". My heart aches for those around me and the struggles they bear. I am so thankful we can "mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort" (Mosiah 18:9) It gives us the opportunity to buoy each other up and realize that we are not alone in our struggles.

"Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation." --unknown

2 comments:

Circe said...

Great perspective, and so true. We could be dealing with our children being swept away by a tsunami right now. Thanks for the reminder!

Jennie said...

Jen, I have to tell ya, I really appreciate when you talk about "real life" on the blog. Not that our kids aren't real and not that we all don't love to see each other's Disney pics, etc. But... I just mean that I am able to learn so much from other people's experiences, their perspective, and how they view what is happening in life. I try and share what we've learned when trying to help Jackson. Hopefully it has helped someone else. I know when you share how you feel, it makes me feel more connected. Life is so busy and it is hard to be involved in all aspects of life to the extent we would like to be. But, sharing insight does help to strengthen connections. Thanks for sharing this. I really liked what you had to say.