This spring at a family wedding I noticed that some of my own cousins didn't even know me and certainly didn't know I was even part of the family. Being the youngest of my family it makes me one of the youngest cousins, add the fact that we lived in New Mexico much of my younger years and I can see how they don't know me. Our last family reunion was at least 17 years ago so I decided it was time we start up the tradition again. I called my sister Suzanne and asked her to help me put a reunion together. We had so much fun planning and organizing everything. We got together several times during the months before the reunion, each time we spent more time gabbing and laughing than we did planning. I think our husbands thought we put much more time into the actual reunion than we ever really did.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Reunited!
The afternoon started with lots of activities. We had volleyball, horseshoes, ladder ball, crafts and a playground to play on. And of course, as we Nelson's do well, a whole lot of visiting. For dinner we had Grammies own sloppy joe recipe that she used to make us a lot when we all got together. 

After dinner we had a little program. My Uncle J Rulon spoke about my grandpa. Most of us never got to meet Grandpa because he died when my mom was just 8 years old. It was really fun to learn more about him and his life. After J Rulon, my Uncle Reed spoke about my Grandma. I have many fond memories of her and visiting her at her house. Then my mom talked about her sister, my Aunt Louis who passed away several years ago. After their tributes we watched a slide show of pictures, both old and new, of everyone in our family.
We then finished up the evening with smores around the fire and a lot more gabbing. I enjoyed seeing the family again and thought the evening was a great success. The best part was that we passed on the duties of planning the next reunion so the tradition will continue once again!
Kate was relaxing on a blanket and the next thing I know she was surrounded by boys. Is this a glimpse of her future?
Making friends with my cousin Becky's little boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Holy cow, you organized a family reunion? That's amazing in my book.
Looks like a tremendous success!
Post a Comment