Growing up I loved to watch Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. It seems I was not the only one learning about being a good neighbor. My mind has been thinking about neighbors lately. It always amazes me the way neighbors can step in and strengthen you with little acts of kindness. Aside from the definitions of proximity, in the dictionary a neighbor is described as this, "Any person in need of one's help or kindness." I think of the many things that my neighbors have done for us lately and my heart swells. I immediately think of the girls in my ward that drove Neeley to school every day of kindergarten without letting me be a part of the carpool, or the "vegetable fairies" that left sacks of fresh garden vegetables on our doorstep, the fresh bread, dinner while moving, help with the kiddos, girls night out, chocolate waffles, sharing a recipe, lending canning supplies, dropping off a can of pumpkin after we had talked about not being able to find any on the shelves at the store, letting the kids play on their swing set and the list goes on. Each, a seemingly little thing I am sure to the giver, but to the receiver, everything. It is amazing how a little act can bring feelings of gratitude, love, belonging, safety and community. The more places I live, the more I realize there is goodness all around us. Thank you neighbors for your selfless giving, your giving without thought of what might come back, giving to a person in need of help or kindness. I only hope I can be as good of a neighbor as I have been a witness of!
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I loved that show too! Our neighbors brought us a delicious dinner the day of Aunt Ann's funeral, we are surrounded by such amazing people!
~Golda:)
Post a Comment