Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Finding More Joy




Joy. I know it's there. It's all around me. But somehow, lately, it's been a little elusive to me. I keep telling myself that joy is not a benchmark or a result of some great accomplishment or result. I tell myself that I can feel it daily if I just look for it more. But somehow, amid the mundane tasks of the day: the diapers, the whining, the cooking, the cleaning, the hairstyling, the laundry, the homework, etc... I find it difficult to feel joy.


A wise man once said, "In all of living have much of fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not endured." - Gordon B. Hinckley

It's not that I feel this great sadness or disappointment with life, it's just that lately I feel like I have been enduring each day, going through the motions. Counting the minutes until the kids are in bed or longing for a fun vacation seem to absorb my thoughts. I just keep thinking, endure today, but for what? Another mundane tomorrow?

Today, I realized that I need to be more of a part of life. I need to look at those cute little faces I'm wiping and who's hair I'm styling and see what they really bring to my life. I need to engage myself in a few more stimulating activities and stop to have fun along the way. So for now, I am going to put on that happy face and do what I hear you are supposed to: Fake It Till You Make It!

Here's to my quest of finding more joy! Now where do I begin?


2 comments:

Ryan said...

We find that you start at Yogo Togo and it really just gets going with a smile! Seriously, I know what you are talking about... Maybe it is the weather. I don't know... but I have been pretty blah myself the last few months. Thanks again for the B-day cash. I picked up some sweet shoes from the Nike outlet on Monday and I LOVE them. I hope Neeley is feeling better.

Sarah said...

Ok, there couldn't be anything cuter than those girls holding their dolls with matching dresses. And their awesome parents. That's love and joy in all it's glory.