Thursday, October 13, 2011

Two big K's!








Kayla and Kindergarten! What a pair. Kayla has waited for this moment! It is the big right of passage, starting at the big school, going every day and best of all NO MORE NAPS! I know, I know I'm the meanest mom on the block but I make my kids take a nap until the big K. Kayla was ready! After watching Neeley for two years, she knows just what to do. And since she got Neeley's K teacher she was really ready. However, when it came to the first day and the bell rang. She stood in line nervously with the rest of the class. When it really came time to step in she started to cry and ran back to me. She kept saying, "I don't know what to do! I don't know what I am supposed to do!" She was terrified because she thought she had to know everything when she walked in. Where to put her backpack, where to sit, how to make the attendance chart, etc... She knew all about it, but not ALL about doing it. She thought she was supposed to know it all. I asked her if she knew how to walk into the class room. She looked at me like I was crazy and said yes. I told her that's it. That's all you need to know. Luckily by then her student teacher came over and took her by the hand and lead her in.


Kayla is my spunky, fashion savvy diva that is full of personality. When you see her you would never guess she was shy. But yes, oh yes, very shy in big social situations. She takes after her daddy on this one. She has a way of shutting right down if things get noisy, busy or big groups of people. I half expected her to react this way but didn't think she would be so panicked. I guess I hoped the excitement of the day would outweigh her fear. A few minutes later her student teacher came back out and said she was fine! This is where I become Mom of the Year! We go home and start the rest of our day. Then my sis in law came and said when does Kayla get home from school. I glanced at the clock and noticed that school had ended five minutes earlier! Yep, I left her there crying and then forgot about picking her up! Luckily I got there before the lineup of cars had left, just in time to hear all about her fabulous day!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a grown up girl--don't worry she'll never remember the late pick up. I've done it before. I don't there is any permanent emotional damage!