Friday, October 4, 2013

Thumbs Down!

When I was younger I was a thumb sucker.  I must have been at least 4 before I quit because I remember my mom bribing me to stop.  She tried just about everything and finally picked just the right stuffed animals to bribe me to quit (I called them T.L and pupcake).  So with Kate I was determined to help her stop.  The damage to her teeth alone was worth it to me to help her.  I started when she was two.  I painted her nails with a bitter polish that is made for such a thing.  She went to suck her thumb and it tasted so bad she started to rub her mouth with her hand, which also contained the polish.  She threw up all over her bed.  I got her cleaned up and tried again.  She threw up once more.  Again, cleaned her up, painted it on her and she sucked it right off and went straight to sleep.  We did this every night for a month and I eventually gave up.  Fast forward to the present.  Again, I knew we had to get her to stop or she would soon become the brunt of kids teasing.  This time, being a little older, I could reason with her.  We promised a special date with Mom and Dad to pick out any toy she wanted. Then I painted her thumb and off she went to bed.  She tried it once and decided it was pretty yucky.  And well, she was pretty set on that new toy.  So for a couple of months now she has been thumb free and finally earned her date with Mom and Dad.  I have to say, a little part of me is sad to see the last of her baby faze fade, but some things just can't last forever!

2 comments:

Circe said...

That picture in the yellow jacket is priceless!

Taylor Family said...

No wonder you are so happy in Arizona! Did that sign say Happy Horny Herbs. Ha Ha