Dad came home from his business trip from Vegas and kept up with his presents tradition. Somewhere along the way it became tradition (or law if you ask Neeley) that when Dad goes on an airplane he brings back a gift. I think this happened before he went on airplanes so much! Anyway, this time he brought them Hello Kitty purses. You can see in the picture that they have their bahama tee shirts on from the last plane ride gifts! They looked so cute shopping around Wal-Mart with their baby dolls in the front of their miniature shopping carts carrying their new purses. We were quite the spectical!
Last night while I was feeding the baby I started thinking about things that I just love and can never have enough of. This all came about while we were tucking Nells in for bed. She has been begging to sleep in her tent and we finally let her last night. Kayla was going to sleep their too but was a little unsure about the whole thing so we put her in her own bed. Since that left Nells alone she got scared and wanted another night light. After pulling one from another place in the house it got me thinking about night lights and how you can never have too many.
That's what got me thinking about a lot of things that are my favorite things. They are all things that are not really a necessity but could be. For some reason they all seem very decadent to me. I think it all stems from my childhood. They are all things that I loved but never really had very often since they were not a neccesity. So for those of you that know of my strong feelings against getting garments as a present (it literally makes me cry just thinking about me or anyone else getting garments as a present) you may be surprised to hear how wonderful I think these items are.
So what do I think is so great. Well for starters night lights. You can never have enough. Given the chance I would have one in every socket! Then there are tissues (but they have to be the really soft ones with lotion), new pairs of socks (I know Clint agrees with me on this one!), Ziplock baggies (you have to have an assortment of all shapes and sizes in the cupboard. I hate cling wrap, although the new press and seal is growing on me. As a kid all we ever had were the kind of baggies that folded over.), Downey fabric softener, and the good kind of floss which is Glide! And my newest things to add to the list are the really soft bath robe and blankie that Jer gave me for Christmas. They just scream pamper me!! What can I say I am easily pleased or maybe this makes me look a little picky! In any case, I got to thinking about these things at 3 in the morning while I was up feeding little lamb. For some reason when I have any of these things it feels so decadent to me. I am sure if you think about it you may have your own decadent things. Or am I the only crazy one????
So if you ever need a good idea of what to get me skip the garments and go for the good stuff!

2 comments:
I'm laughing at your favorite things because I wish I could ask for some of those things for my birthday, but it would seem lame. My big luxuries are Tide with Downey and ziploc bags, like you said. Tin foil is also a biggie, and paper cups. And. of course, fresh flowers on the table. Things that go by the wayside when money is an issue, so they make you feel rich when you have them.
I like your list although i have to admit zip lock bags, and fabric softner would definitely be on the list of things that would make me cry as a gift. :)
All my things tend to be cooking stuff, measuring cups in every size (I have no idea where our measuring cups go, but I've been cooking with only a 1/2 cup and doing the math for months now), really good oive oil, really good balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs instead of dried (this one is a big one for me there is nothing I like more than the smell of fresh rosemary and thyme), a brand new tube of lip gloss, and really nice bath, skin, and hair products.
Post a Comment