Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Make New Friends!

Old Friends: Mikelle, Alexis, Neeley and Kayla

New Friends: Neeley and Naomi

Back in my girl scout days I learned a saying that has stuck with me all these years:
Make new friends, but keep the old.
One is silver and the other is gold.

Since moving the girls have been busy keeping up with their old friends and making new ones. As we were discussing new girls in our neighborhood that we could call to play, Neeley was hesitant about having one little girl over. I sensed her hesitation and began to quiz her on why. It finally came down to the fact that this little girl had some physical differences that Neeley was apprehensive about. It was a great learning experience to be able to talk about how we are all different. I asked her if she wanted someone to treat her differently because she had brown hair or for her blue eyes. Of course her answer was no. I explained to her that the color of our skin is just as simple of a difference as the color of our hair. We would never want to judge anyone for how they look, we always have to look inside a person to see how they really are. Isn't it funny how sometimes we, as people, shy away from the unknown? If we fail to really get to know about something, we can miss out on some really wonderful things in life. Neeley agreed to meet this new friend and give it a try playing together. I told her that if after 1 hour she wasn't having fun, we could be done playing. Well, as I suspected, 3 hours went by and Neeley came and said, "Mom, can Naomi stay for longer than one hour?" I am so glad for teaching moments in our lives and for a new friend!

No comments: