Sunday, August 29, 2010

1st of 1st!





With Neeley, we have seen many 1st, but this week seems to top them all. Sending my baby to school ALL day, as said before, was not easy. I felt as though I was sending her to the wolves as I walked out of the building that morning. And well, the way she acted like a bear when she got home that day made it feel even more so. I think all of the excitement, anticipation, and not to mention the extra long day at school proved to be tiring for our little 1st grader. I was really glad to see her come home happier the second day.


Despite her tired homecoming, she had nothing but good to report about school. She was elated to have her very own locker but not too excited to be "boy trapped" (as she put it) sitting between two boys. Her teacher, she informed me was the nicest first grade teacher in the school. She gives them Panda Passes for good behavior that they can "buy" little treasures with at the end of each week. Being the saver that Neeley is, she chose to save hers this week for something bigger next week!

After a week of eating in the cafeteria she had some interesting things to say about the entrees. One day she came home telling me about this chicken that was really good. She described it as being pieces of chicken cut up but not like chicken nuggets. We looked at the menu and it was Teriyaki Beef. The next day was, as she put it, a really yucky taco thingy that she nor her friend Ashley could eat. Menu translation: burrito. The next day she talked about how she really wanted a roll but there wasn't any ANYWHERE, but everyone else got one, including the girl in line behind her. I think she has some adjusting to do, but I never worry about my Neeley. She loves to eat, but loves to eat all of the healthy things like the salads and the fruit. I just wish I could be a fly on the wall to follow her around the school all day to see what she is like with out me around.

I miss my Neeley, but am so glad to see her maturing into such a cute young lady! Here's to another year of 1st's!

2 comments:

Circe said...

I love her stories about lunch. they always seem to remember lunch and recess in detail, but nothing about what they learned in class! Neeley is a cute little first grader. Such a fun age!

Ashby Family said...

1'st grade has been a really hard adjustment for me. I find myself crying at the school commercials and Ariana asks me ALL day when we can go pick up Alexis. Alexis is so hungry by lunch time that she skips recess to eat and still says she sometimes doesn't have enough time.