Sunday, January 6, 2008

My Day Old Child





My day old child lay in my arms

with my lips against her ear
I whispered softly, "How I wish, I wish that you could hear;

"I've a hundred wonderful things to say
(A tiny cough and a nod)
Hurry, hurry, hurry and grow
so I can tell you about God."

My day old baby's mouth was still
and my words only tickled her ear.
but a kind of light passed through her eyes, 
and I saw this thought appear.

"How I wish I had a voice and words;
I've a hundred things to say.
Before I forget I'd tell you of God - 
I left Him yesterday."

- Carol Lynn Pearson

3 comments:

Circe said...

I was hoping to see more pictures of Lilah! Those are so precious. I love that poem, too. I hope things are going well!

Michelle said...

I love Carol Lynn Pearson's poems, I have 3 or 4 books of them, and that is one of my favorites (I also love the one about teaching your child to walk).

Ryan said...

What a beautiful poem and reminder that these sweet little spirits actually belong to our Father in Heaven. I love the thought that each of my four little ones are actually my spirit brothers and sisters. I like to think that we had such a special bond before we came to earth that we just had to be in our earthly family together too. It helps me put into perspective my role as an earthly father. Thanks for the reminder.