Ok so I know many of you are getting ready for a road trip so here are a few tips I have found to be helpful for all ages!
Go to the following link and print off some fun activities. You can find everything from car bingo to tick tack toe boards. I remember as a little girl we played the license plate game on the way to Disneyland. We found a plate from every state, including Hawaii (which we finally got in Disney's parking lot)! We had such a fun time doing it and it really kept us from bugging my mom and dad! (Hint, hint!!) There is a checklist with all 50 states on it that you can print off! Click the link below to get there!
Another thing to do on the road that I actually just read about is taking a roll of tin foil with you and the kids can make tin foil art. Circe, I can just imagine the masterpieces your kids would create. I think this sounds really fun and much cleaner than other things! Also, we like to bring colored pencils instead of crayons or markers. We have had too many crayons melted by the sun or heater under those seats and the markers always seem to get dropped in their seats and make a nice spot on their bums or on the seat of the car!
Another helpful tip I learned driving back and forth from Vegas was to make a master packing check list. I hate to get somewhere and not have everything I need (I am not a very good light packer) and I found myself jotting down things I just couldn't forget for days before we left. There is nothing worse than arriving somewhere without a tooth brush, your camera or worse, underwear!! One time I finally got smart and made a master list on the computer. Now when we go anywhere, I print it off and start packing. It really has taken a load off of my mind when traveling. I also added a trip to do list that has things like stopping the mail, taking out the trash, turning down the air and starting the dishwasher. I know, I know, this is all starting to sound a bit anal, but it really is a big help to get these things off your mind. Jennie, I know at least you have to be with me on this one or is it even too anal for you???
So my suggestion, make your list this time so you have it next time or let me know and I will email you mine! I tried to find a way to attach it to this post but I couldn't. Does any one know how to attach a file that's not a picture???
Another tip for when you are stopping somewhere along the way is to pack a small one nighter bag so you don't have to unpack the car and lug it into the hotel for one night just to turn around and pack it all back in the next morning!
Get movies at red box, the kids will have something new to watch and you can return them anywhere!
Save the candy for the car emergencies when the kids just can't take it any longer. This always happens to us about 50 miles out of Vegas on the way there and Provo/Lehi on the way back. Don't let them know you have the candy before then or you will never hear the end of the begging!! Nerds are great for this because they take a long time to eat and aren't sticky if they spill.
And my favorite thing is to bring paper or plastic bowls. They are great for passing snacks back or can even be used to hold crayons, stickers, Nerds, etc. I never take a road trip without these. They are even great to put their drive through lunches in. It really cuts back on the mess! It also helps to have a few grocery bags on hand for trash.
I know I am no expert but I thought I would share some of my tips we learned from our many trips back and forth from Vegas! Hope they help and feel free to share your own!

3 comments:
Great post, and lots of good ideas! Thanks! I think I'll implement every one of your ideas, starting with the tin foil. Another goodf idea my cousin had was drugging the kids to sleep. I think she used dramamine? I'll have to check! :) Or maybe the colored pencils would be better...Please email your packing list to Scott. I'd love to see it. My list for the kids is 2 swimsuits, 2 jackets, and 7 outfits. I do have a Vegas bag packed with jammies and swimsuits, as well as extra undies.
Wow! I am so impressed. I totally want a copy of your master list. send it asap - when you get to it. I know you have nothing better to do... I mean you only have 3 kiddos. :) Happy packing!
You are so impressive, Jen!!! Next time I take a trip I will remember to talk to you first. How come you got all the organizing skills and I am just the big walking mess, aka... Pigpen from Charlie Brown!!! You Guys all have a GREAT!!!! Trip.
Post a Comment