Since her birthday, Kayla has been trying to learn to ride her bike. Today, as she was finally riding down the sidewalk all by herself, I felt such a feeling of pride for her. It made me think of how often we go through the same types of struggles as she has. At first I had to move the pedals for her. Then she could pedal once around and would get stuck because she kept trying to pedal backwards which would put on the brakes. She kept getting frustrated and said she couldn't do it. She said it was "scabby" (her word for hard). After several times of giving her a lesson I decided to let her struggle with it on her own for a while.
Today, when I went to check on her, she was riding down the street. At first she would go a little ways, stop, get off, push over a crack in the sidewalk and then get back on. But after a while she was going long stretches on her own.
As I stood there watching her I thought of many times in my life when I was trying to get through something "scabby". It made me think about our Father in Heaven and how he holds our hands and leads us and then eventually lets us work things out on our own for a while. Sometimes we put on the brakes, sometimes we have to push over the cracks but eventually if we keep at it we can do it.

No comments:
Post a Comment