I sit here tonight with mixed feelings about back to school tomorrow. This summer, if you wanted to see me cry all you had to do was talk about my little Neeley being gone all day long as she enters the first grade. This summer could have been a time of stress and worries, but we chose to make the most of it and pack all the fun we could into the short time we have. For some reason, this summer has seemed like a summer of all summers. I am not sure who enjoyed it the most, me or the kids. We have no great vacation to speak of, no fancy outings, but we do have tons of great memories added to our list.
I remember when I taught school a group of moms decorated their cars and began a back to school party as they drove away after dropping their kids off. I do realize that this is my first kid in school, and that my perception may change as the years go by, but for this year, I am sad. Sad to see my little Neeley grow up. Sad to be away from her each day longer than I am with her. Sad to see her slip into her new chapter of life where she is gaining more independence, making more choices on her own and especially sad not to be the center of her world. No celebrations here this year with back to school, except for one little "almost 7" year old who can't wait to begin her new chapter!
So, tomorrow I'll be following the advice of my sister Karen when I wear my sunglasses to mask those tears.
I am happy about a few things this new school year though. I am happy that I have a little girl who is excited to learn, responsible, smart, fun, loving, obedient and just down right cute! I guess you have earned the right to go into 1st grade when you have lost your two front teeth and can lay out a back to school outfit as cute as this one!

2 comments:
Love the matching undies! Good luck to both of you! :)
How cute is she with those missing front teeth!!
Glad to see she's going back with clean underwear!
By the way, Alisa's first day of first grade was the longest day of my life. I was a little more prepared for this year with Maria.
Post a Comment