Sunday, August 30, 2009

Holding On!


As much as a satisfaction it is to see Neeley grow up there is still a part of me that wants to hold on to her, never to let her grow up.  
As we were walking her to school this morning, Jer and I talked about how many times we had thought about this day and how many times the tears have come to our eyes just thinking about it.  Now we were actually doing it and it was a bit surreal.  She feels excitement with a bit of apprehension just as we do.  Each milestone we reach reminds me how fast life flies by.  


Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that Im losing her forever
And without really entering her world
Im glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think Im close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when shes gone theres that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I cant deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
(slipping through my fingers all the time)
Well, some of that we did but most we didnt
And why I just dont know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think Im close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers...

Slipping through my fingers all the time

Schoolbag in hand she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sigh. Why do they have to grow up? Of course you want them too, but it's so hard when they actually do.

Neeley's going to be fantastic.